Get in as fast as 1 hour
It’s all local
Shop your favorites
Connect with shoppers
Art Supplies Delivery or Pickup
The Instacart buying guide to art supplies
The right supplies are an essential component of any art project. Whether you're interested in painting, sculpting, or other types of art, you want to have the tools you need on hand whenever you sit down to create. Sometimes, though, it's challenging to find time in your schedule to shop for supplies. That's where Instacart comes in. Instead of spending your time scouring stores for the right materials when you should be creating, let Instacart make your day easier. You'll find all your favorite art supplies and products available for delivery in as little as 2 hours.
Art Supplies Near Me
FAQs about art supplies
Artists use a wide range of paintbrushes depending on the type of paint and desired effect. For example, you'll choose different bristle types depending on the kind of paint you're using:
- Acrylic brushes: These are almost completely nylon or synthetic.
- Oil painting brushes: These are typically made from bristle or sable.
- Watercolor brushes: These are typically made from nylon, sable, or synthetic sable.
You'll also get to choose the shape of brush you want. Some commonly used brush shapes include:
- Bright: Use bright brushes to drive paint into a canvas' weave thanks to short and stiff bristles.
- Fan: Use these brushes to blend broad paint areas.
- Filbert: Use these flat brushes with domed ends for good paint coverage or to create some detail work.
- Flat: Use flat brushes to spread paint evenly and quickly.
- Round: Use round brushes with pointed tips and long, closely arranged bristles for detail.
Different paints create different effects, so you'll want to carefully think about the type of art paint you choose. Some paints artists often work with include:
- Acrylic paints: These versatile paints work well for everything from fine brushwork to glazing to staining and beyond. Acrylic paints are smooth, light, and durable.
- Gouache: Gouache is water-soluble and opaque. It dries dark and takes a long time to dry.
- Oil paints: Durable paints that provide a glossy finish, oil paints create long-lasting coverage. Oil paints dry slowly, so you can gradually develop your work.
- Watercolor paints: These translucent paints contain pigment and a binder. The pigment is suspended in water until the water dries, staining the surface in the process. Watercolors dry quickly and let you brush with fluidity.
Clay is incredibly versatile and relatively easy to work with, making it a great modeling material for beginners and expert sculptors alike. You should consider the feel, hardness, and texture of the material when making the very personal decision of the type of clay you'll use.
You should also consider the equipment available to you when choosing the right clay for your goals. For example, whether you have access to a kiln will determine some clay products you can and can't use, as will the temperature you plan to fire.
Versatile, durable, and easy to use, polymer clay has become a favorite for making beads, jewelry, and more. You can even bake this synthetic modeling clay in your home oven. If the color you envision for your project is not available in pre-made clay, you can also mix colors to develop unique hues for your creations. Here's one method for mixing polymer clay colors:
Take the proportions you want of each color in your hand, then roll together to form a roll. Bend that roll in half, then flatten it, then roll it again, repeating the process. Try not to get a lot of air in the clay as you fold it together. If air pockets get trapped in your clay, you'll notice that plaques or discolorations may appear on the surface of the clay after you cure it.
The term scrapbook paper is actually an all-encompassing phrase referring to any kind of paper made for or associated with scrapbooking projects. Some types of scrapbook paper include:
- Patterned paper.
Whether you're looking for art supplies for yourself or for someone you love, having everything you need in one place takes the guesswork out of the shopping experience. Make your day a little easier by ordering all the art supplies you need with Instacart today!